Measure for a Single Garden Gate
Using Existing Posts
1. Measure your gap between posts.
2. Simply take 10 – 15mm off depending on how tight you would like the fit. E.g. 1000mm gap – 10mm (hinge & latch allowance, 5mm each side) = 990mm Gate Size.
Wall to Wall Gap
1. Measure between walls. E.g. Gap measures 1000mm
2. Decide on size post/wall rail. E.g. 47mm x 100mm wall rails
3. Take your gap measurement and minus x2 wall rails. E.g. Gap 1000mm – 47mm – 47mm (wall rails) = 906mm
4. Apply first rule by taking off 10 – 15mm for hing and latch allowance. E.g. 906mm – 10mm = 895mmc (rounded down to nearest 5mm)
Measure for a Pair of Gates
1. Measure gap of where gates and posts are to be installed within. E.g. Measured gap = 2730mm
2. Decide on size posts / Wall rails. E.g. Using a 150mm x 150mm gate post.
3. Take your gap measurement and minus x2 gate posts. E.g. Gap is 2730mm – 150mm – 150mm (gate posts) = 2430mm
4. You now need to take of your hinge and latch allowance. We recommend 30mm to allow for expansion when wet. E.g. 2430mm – 30mm (allowance) = 2400mm pair of gates or 1200mm wide each leaf.
We have experienced staff on hand during office hours so please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further help.
Garden Fencing Specification Sheets:
Closeboard Fencing Kit Spec Sheets